*
I really have no idea how this happened.
Because I don't drink coffee.
I have had it, yes, when I'm with friends and we're at a coffee shop. But I don't make a point of drinking it.
--
The first time I ever purposefully ordered coffee was in Edinburgh. Betsy and Hannah and Auntie M and I had just finished the tramp down from the castle and were cold and hungry, so we ducked into a pub and sat down. We requested sticky toffee pudding (because if you go to Scotland and don't try sticky toffee pudding, you are an unintelligent being, probably more ape than human) and because I was in a new country and feeling moderately brave, I ordered a mocha. It was delivered in a tall (blue?) mug, with a saucer catching the ambitious drops that wanted to be drips. We ate the (phenomenal) sticky toffee pudding and I drank about half of the mocha. All I seem to remember about it was the chocolate being extremely rich. And it was from a pub in Scotland.The second coffee based drink I ordered probably doesn't even count. We were in the van on the way back from the shoot at Powell's when Rowan decided to take us to Bipartisan. So to Bipartisan we went. Considering our group consisted of over a dozen photographers, there was a bit of difficulty just getting through the door. But we crowded in and the air was cool and the wood floor was rough. Being a newcomer in the land of coffee, I asked Justin what was good and he ordered us each a mocha milkshake. It was sweet and intense and bitter all at once.
The third coffee was from Fourbucks (a word which here means Starbucks). I discovered Clari was studying at the one approximately 15 minutes away from where I was staying. Since it was January and the last time I saw her was in July, I found it absolutely necessary to crash her study party. We sat and chatted until Rachel arrived and said something along the lines of "What are you doing here?!" At which point, I gave her a big hug and the three of us hung out and caught up. After an hour or so, we figured we should probably actually buy something so we wouldn't get kicked out. Clari texted me from ten feet away while Rachel and I stood in line and I paid for a caramel macchiato.The fourth coffee I bought was at Mission ConneXion. (The X makes it more cool and famous.) That event deserves an entire post to itself, but the relevant part is when Amber and I were getting hungry and didn't have any food with us. We wandered aimlessly for awhile and then discovered we were near the coffee cart.
"I kind of want coffee. And I barely even like coffee. Do you want coffee?"It took us a month or two to decide, but eventually we quit messing around - she had a white chocolate and raspberry mocha and I had an Irish cream (flavored syrup) latte. We discovered an unoccupied cubbyhole between the bookshelves, so we claimed it and read awkward titles of books and laughed and drank our coffee and talked about random things.
"Sure."
The fifth cup of coffee was a Kicker. Lauren and Amber and I were spending the day together, going to the bank, looking at the saddles at Coastal, eating sandwiches, and generally having randomly awesome adventures. We dropped off the cookies, and after we went to the library, it was decided that I needed to experience Dutch Bros. The only hard part was finding our way to the right one. We did get there, though. Once again, I relied on guidance of others to choose my beverage. Once again, I had good advice. I think I like Irish cream (flavored syrup).
--
And now here I sit, crunching salted almonds, typing away and sipping coffee sweetened with vanilla sugar. No cream, no chocolate, no milk. Granted, the coffee/sugar ratio is probably around 3/1. But I voluntarily poured it for myself. I chose to drink coffee when I had other options. Weird.

You're turning to the dark side! Don't do it! The land of coffee is filled with darkness with lots of cream, sugar, and headaches!
ReplyDeleteHaha, I am not a coffee drinker either, but I've explored the coffee side, and will drink it - especially if I NEED that caffeine. ;)
ReplyDeleteOkay, so a few suggestions:
you used a lot of 'ands' in that second sentence: "Betsy and Hannah and Auntie M and I" I'd cut them out, personally.
I'd cut out the 'actually' - it just seems like an extra word that isn't needed. "After an hour or so, we figured we should probably actually buy something so we wouldn't get kicked out."
I had fun reading it! I'm like you, though, most times I've relied on other's help to pick something coffee-related out. ;)
I am a social coffee drinker. I drink it on special occasions when I am at a shop with friends. It makes me feel like a hipster (but not really, because I don't actually know what the differences are between various kinds, and I don't know why a certain kind is supposed to taste extremely good...but I can pretend).
ReplyDeleteAnd twice now, I have had it my breaks at work, when I am pulling a 12 hour shift after not enough sleep the night before (sometimes said lack of sleep is due to my decisions to have adventures though, so I can't complain too much about that).
If you were here, I would suggest we wear skinny jeans and ride bikes to a local coffee shop. Then we would be hipster together.
I love how you can actually count the times you've had coffee.... My life would read more like this, "my fifth cup of coffee *today* was..." haha, just kidding I'm not that bad!
ReplyDeleteThe only thing that made me cringe is that you're not really experiencing coffee with all that syrup in it ;) haha... but the mocha milkshake sounds AMAZING, why didn't I get that when we went there the second week?!?! :( sad day.
If I was being really picky I'd say some of your sentences feel a little rambly.. but I like that in this essay; for some reason combined with the caffeinated topic it seems to fit.