"Oh no, it's all right."
* * *
Some silences are awkward. Some silences are painful. Some silences ache to be filled.
And then there is the comfortable sort between friends who know each other and feel no need to clutter the air with speech. I recently reread The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society (lovely book, by the way) and one of my favorite quotes was something Juliet said in one of her letters:
I can't think of anything lonelier than spending the rest of my life with someone I can't talk to, or worse, someone I can't be silent with.It's definitely something I agree with. Try imagining someone you can't be comfortably quiet with. For the rest of your life. Painful, isn't it?
So. Thought of the evening - I hope the chap for me is fairly skilled at all the witty banter and so forth. But I also hope he can be content to simply be silent. That is comradeship.
I agree wholeheartedly. So true! :)
ReplyDeleteThat *is* a painful thought :P Usually the closer I am to someone, the quieter I am.... I don't feel like I need to fill the silence. :)
ReplyDeletethis.is brilliant.
ReplyDeletethat last paragraph tops the cake. I agree with you.
:)
I couldn't agree more. :)
ReplyDelete