"Beef taco, bean and cheese burrito. Extra hot sauce, please."
I have a great affinity for burritos. If I had to choose one food to eat for the rest of my life, it would probably be a burrito. The sheer variety of delectable options is reason enough - a good carne asada can knock your socks off and a machaca is one of the best breakfasts out there.
However, my personal favorite is the bean and cheese. Some people may order a straight bean burrito, but in my opinion, this is not the way to go. A bean burrito without cheese is like a writer without a pen. It just doesn't make sense. It is monotonous, regardless of how tasty the beans are. The cheese is necessary to add another texture, to introduce a new layer of flavor, to bring balance to the Force. A bean and cheese is true deliciousness in its simplest form. Because of this simplicity, the quality of the main ingredient must be outstanding. Good beans can often be hard to find.
There is a shack a few blocks from my house. It is shabby and painted orange and yellow in the garish Tijuana style; the menu board has been corrected with permanent marker and the taped-on intercom primarily conveys static. Out of this place comes the best beans I have ever tasted. I have no clear idea how the cooks make them, I assume they use delightful ingredients such as magic, lard, and salt. In general, they produce consistently fabulous Mexican food - did I mention the beef tacos? holy cow - and I have tried quite a bit of it. But no matter what I order and eat, I am never so contented afterwards as when I finish a bean and cheese burrito.
Thou hast succeeded in making me hungry. Very hungry. For Mexican food.
ReplyDelete*sigh*
This was good. ;)
One thing I saw though, is this:
" I have no clear idea how the cooks make them, I assume they use delightful ingredients such as magic, lard, and salt. "
The first comma after 'them' - I think that should be a semi-colon. What thinkest thou?
::Gasps:: I read the title and practically fainted.
ReplyDeleteThough you did succeed in making me hungry...
I still think taco bell is the bomb.
And all God's people said, "Amen."
ReplyDeleteIs it lunch time yet? ;)
ReplyDeleteSorry Claressa..... I have to agree with Jennette... Taco Bell shouldn't exist. :)
ReplyDeleteYou did a lovely job, and now I'm having a hard time thinking about any other kind of food other than Mexican.. ohhhh and Chipotle's guacamole. Oh geeze. I think I might have to go buy some avocados.
When I come to visit you can we go to that place?? It sounds just like the place Will took us to in Atlanta one time, for really amazing pork sandwiches and fried green beans. I love little places like that!